The non-profit organisation GAMS Belgium has been fighting since 1996 for the abandonment of female genital mutilation in Belgium and abroad. Its team collaborates with affected communities and carries out prevention, support, professional training and advocacy work. GAMS Belgium is a member of the EndFGM European Network and the Inter-African Committee on Traditional Practices (CIAF).
The objective of GAMS Belgium is to contribute to the abandonment of FGM in Belgium and worldwide.
- Preventing FGM of girls and women at risk living in Belgium;
- Reduce the health, social and psychological impact of FGM by a comprehensive care of girls and women who have undergone FGM and their families;
- Promote collaboration and intersectional action, ensure advocacy at national and international levels;
- Support programmes for the abandonment of FGM in Africa.
We recognise FGM as a gender-based violence.
To achieve its objectives, GAMS Belgium has put into place the following activities:
- Psycho-social support
- Community workshops
- Awareness raising & information
- Training of key professionals
- Expertise / research
GAMS Belgium in the media
- 14 June 2019 – Article RTL Info: Les femmes doivent être au coeur des négociations, demandent des associations féministes
- 25 May 2019 – Article RTBF: Des activistes veulent placer les violences obstétricales dans les accords de gouvernement
- 5 February 2019 – Article RTBF: Mutilations génitales: les députés bruxellois veulent intensifier la prévention et le dépistage
- 10 July 2018 – Article Le Vif: 17 273 femmes et filles sont déjà probablement excisées en Belgique
- 5 July 2018 – Article MO*: Afrikaanse diaspora is zelf de spil in preventieve aanpak van genitale verminking
- 26 March 2018 – Article Le Vif: “Des médecins belges aussi pratiquent l’excision féminine”
- 3 March 2018 – Article De Standaard: ‘Mishandeling met goede bedoelingen’
- 6 February 2018 – Article Le Vif: Excision : “non, la cuillère dans la culotte n’est pas une solution”
- 30 October 2017 – Article SC-MGF: My combat, in Djibouti and Belgium – an interview with Samia Youssouf
- 11 October 2017 – Article Médias de Bruxelles: Journée de la fille : une expo pour l’abandon des mutilations génitales féminines
Director GAMS Belgium
Midwife referent FGM
0473 41 06 91
Flanders helpdesk Coordinator
0495 93 93 18
Recent press releases
• 06th Feb. 2019: Breaking the silence on gender-based violence against migrant women: Launch of the ACCESS project aiming to facilitate access to support services for affected women.
• 06th Feb. 2019: #TogetherWithGirls campaign against female genital mutilation.
• 16th Feb. 2018: The launch of a new social-health network for the prevention of female genital mutilation in Brussels
• 6th Feb. 2017: “RESPECT OUR BODIES” : GAMS Belgium launches a new slogan for the International day of zero tolerance for female genital mutilation (French)