A pact for education: Sponsor a young girl living in Vélingara (Senegal)
GAMS Belgium npo launches a project in Senegal and needs your support!
GAMS Belgium npo has always fought against female genital mutilation and forced marriages that are to be considered a gender-based violence. Thanks to GAMS’ prevention work with migrant families living in Belgium, 3500 girls have been protected against female genital mutilation.
The association mostly works on Belgian territory but is also a member of the Inter-African Committee, and keeps in touch with countries where FGM is practiced. We have been working on a program for the abandonment of FGM since 2002 in Vélingara, a Senegalese region where GAMS Belgium’s president and founder Khadidiatou Diallo grew up. Literacy courses, income generating activities (mill to grind grain, orchards…) were organised to provide women with more autonomy and strength to say no to FGM. Nowadays, several families have already decided to protect their daughters from FGM but do not dare to say so in public for fear of being poorly regarded. Families still do not have the financial resources to let girls stay at school and avoid marriage before 18 years old. With this new project, we aim to support those families opposed to FGM so that their daughters can keep going to school and be protected from FGM and forced marriage.
How to help ?
(1) With a standing order each month:
- 15€ to cover the costs of the schooling of a girl
- 20€ to cover the costs of the schooling of a girl and support operating costs (transport for animators)
- 25€ to cover the costs of the schooling of a girl and support operating costs (transport for animators and a participation to their salary)
- 30€ to cover the costs of the schooling of a girl and support an awareness raising project by the youth town council of Vélingara.
Parents will receive 15€ per month only if they commit not to cut their daughter, to let her go to school until the last year of secondary school, and not to marry her against her will.
(2) With a punctual donation that will help cover an awareness raising project through theater with the youth town council of Vélingara.
In Vélingara there are 3 GAMS animators.
An annual medical check-up will be organised to make sure that the girl has effectively been protected from FGM.
A regular follow-up will be ensured at the levels of health and school.
Account’s name : G.A.M.S. ASBL
IBAN : BE33 0017 8676 4046
BIC : GEBABEBB
Bank : BNP Paribas Fortis
Montagne du Parc 3,
Communication : Projet Vélingara
Donations above 40€ give the right to a fiscal certificate for your tax return.
You will be regularly informed about the project’s progress through specific newsletters.
- S Prev